FluMist® is a live influenza vaccine that is administered as a spray directly into the nose. It was approved in the US in 2003 and in Europe in 2011. The vaccine has not been approved in Japan yet. FluMist® is a quadrivalent vaccine, which is recommended by the WHO and is expected to provide a higher protective effect.
- Vaccinations are scheduled to start around the middle of November.
- Fee : 9,980 yen (tax included)
Number of doses : 1 dose
- (Children 8 years of age or younger who have never received influenza vaccination: 2 doses)
- Eligible age : 2 through 49 years
Comparison between FluMist® and inactivated influenza vaccines made in Japan
- No injection necessary
- Protective effect lasting throughout the season
- High protective effect against influenza
- Effective in making symptoms milder for strains other than those prevailing
- Some side effects such as runny nose or cough
- Age limitation for vaccination
Recommended for those in whom the effect of traditional influenza vaccination was inadequate, those who dislike injections, and students preparing for entrance exams
||Inactivated influenza vaccine
||2 - 49 years
||1 year and older
||About 4 months
|Number of doses
* Those who have never had an influenza vaccination: 2 doses
|Age 12 years or younger: 2 doses
Age 13 years or older: 1 dose
Those who cannot receive FluMist® vaccination:
- Children younger than 2 years of age, and adults 50 years of age or older
- Children younger than 5 years of age who have a history of asthma, or who have had an asthma attack within the past year
- Those who have chronic disease
- Those with weakened immune systems, and those who are in close contact with someone with a weakened immune system
- Women who are pregnant or may be pregnant
- Those who are taking aspirin
- Those who are severely allergic to eggs
To make a reservation for FluMist® vaccination, please contact us by phone call. 03-3478-4747
If your child cries hard when administering the nasal spray, the vaccine may not adequately enter the nasal cavity due to the large amount of nasal discharge, thus reducing the protective effect. In such cases it may be decided not to administer FluMist®.
- Likewise, if you have severe runny nose or congestion, it may not be possible to administer the FluMist® vaccine at that time because the effect would be reduced.
- Please refrain from excessive exercise right after vaccination and from swimming for 7 days after vaccination.
- Normal activities like bathing or light jogging after vaccination are acceptable.
- Side effects such as runny nose, congestion, headache and fever may appear.
- If you have a baby younger than 6 months in your family, or if you have a serious chronic disease, please consult us before the vaccination.